Pages

Saturday 9 March 2013

Could be Perfect

Well, obviously it's not perfect... The 15th anniversary of The Big Lebowski's 'release' has been celebrated recently, and here is a link to help you enjoy it, courtesy of EW.com.

Personally, I'd've got rid of the parodies. I think they're pretty poor, not that funny, but then I still applaud their spirit. When in dialogue about something as great as a Coen brothers' hit, it's hard not to fall short of the mark, so good on them for trying.

I've been thinking about my favourite song from the film: it's impossible to choose. CCR's 'Lookin' Out My Back Door' is always a strong contender, but often I feel like I relate a lot to Bob Dylan's 'The Man In Me'. The psychedellic vote certainly goes to Kenny Rogers with 'Just Dropped In' (an undeniably great tune), but then what about this, this, this or even this? It's ridiculous, there are so many more to choose from too. Carter Burwell (who has inspired a major character in a short story of mine, yes it's true!) is a bloody great man, another person whose association with the Coen Bros. has helped them to their greatness.

On a side note, I think reducing an entire film to the repetition of a single word is a noteworthy enterprise. It happens twice in EW's selection, on page one (with the word 'dude') and page five (with the word 'fuck'). The rhythmic qualities of doing this create a great performance piece of poetry (perhaps!). My other fave video in this vein includes the Shortened Scarface, I'm sure there are plenty of others. Please don't dismiss it as puerile until you've had a go!

So, what shall we take from this post? That The Big Lebowski is good? Yes. That The Coen Brothers are good? Yes. That the f*** bomb is good? Sometimes. I don't know, take from life what you will. I'm not going to dictate...

4 comments:

  1. I'm almost ashamed to say I've never seen the Big Lebowski. I guess it's one of those movies that one could say, "You haven't lived until you've seen it..."? If you recommend it, I will watch it. :-)

    I love, love the shortened version of Scarface. I've seen it many times. It's good stuff. Hahaha. It makes me want to go dancing, or something. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've not lived until you've tried a Coen brothers' film, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou or Fargo are probably good 'classic Coen bros.' films. Big Lebowski is funny though, so I can't help but recommend it to you :)

      Ha yeah I know what you mean, wouldn't it be great to have that lifestyle just for a little while: the discos, the clothes, the music and all that. As long as we avoided the drugs and shootouts!

      Delete
  2. I've seen Fargo. I liked that movie. As I said, on your recommendation, I will watch The Big Lebowski. I'll even do a little write-up on it. ;-)

    It would be so great to have that lifestyle again. I was all about the excess 80s, minus the drugs, of course. I'll have to look you up when I go to the UK. Let's have a disco-fest. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's cool! Steve Buscemi is great isn't he? That'd be good, I look forward to it.

      Haha yeah not that I can claim to be a dancer :-P

      Delete

Just keep it clean (ish)!